Hey, curl friend!
Today, I’m here to spill the tea on how to use cornrows for natural hair growth.
Did you know that cornrows are an ancient African hairstyle? That’s right. Our ancestors were rocking cornrows long before they became a popular trend. And for good reason too!
Cornrows are great for natural hair because they protect your ends, are low-maintenance, and versatile, and can help your hair grow by protecting it from damage and keeping it moisturized.
Like any protective style, you’ll only reap the growth benefits of cornrows if they are properly put in, maintained, and taken out.
Here are some tips on how to use cornrows for natural hair growth:
1. Start With Clean, Detangled Hair
Before you start cornrowing, it’s important to start with clean, detangled hair.
Wash your hair with a gentle sulfate-free shampoo and condition it with a moisturizing conditioner.
Then, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair, starting from the ends and working your way up to the roots.
2. Use a Good Moisturizer
Moisturizing your hair is vital to promoting hair growth.
Use a leave-in conditioner or moisturizer to keep your hair moisturized and prevent breakage. You can also use a natural oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil to seal in moisture.
3. Section Your Hair
Divide your hair into sections to make cornrowing easier.
Use clips or hair ties to keep each section in place while working on the others.
Ensure the sections are even in size and not too big or too small.
4. Start With the Basics
If you’re new to cornrowing, start with the basics.
- Start by making a small section at the front of your head and dividing it into three equal parts
- Cross the right strand over the middle strand, then cross the left strand over the middle strand
- Add a small amount of hair to the right strand and cross it over the middle strand again
- Repeat on the left side, adding a small amount of hair to the left strand each time
Here’s a tutorial to help with that:
5. Protect Your Hair at Night
To protect your cornrows and promote hair growth, wrap your hair with a silk or satin scarf at night.
This will prevent your hair from drying out and breaking while you sleep.
6. Take Care of Your Hair While It’s in Cornrows
While your hair is in cornrows, it’s important to take care of it.
- Keep your scalp clean and moisturized by using a scalp oil or spray
- Be gentle when washing your hair, and avoid pulling or tugging on it
- Don’t leave your cornrows in for too long
- Take them out after a maximum of six weeks to prevent breakage
7. Experiment With Different Styles
Once you’ve mastered the basics, experiment with different styles.
You can try different partings, braid patterns, and sizes.
Add extensions or accessories like beads, shells, or hair cuffs to make your cornrows more stylish.
With these tips, you can use cornrows to protect your hair, promote growth, and look fabulous, all at the same time.
By the way, are you finding it difficult to decide on how many hair bundles to get for your next style? Well, check out this helpful article.